Steel-cut oats, overripe bananas and walnuts come together for a healthy, hearty breakfast that tastes like it just came out of grandma’s oven.
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups steel-cut oats
- 2 slightly overripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or other milk of your choice
- Optional for serving: sliced bananas, walnuts, more cinnamon, milk of your choice
- Bring 5 cups water to a boil.
- In a Dutch oven or other large pot, brown the butter over medium heat.
- Pour in the oats and stir until they begin to absorb the butter.
- Pour in the boiling water reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered for about 25 minutes, stirring frequently so the oats don’t stick to the bottom.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients until smooth and serve warm topped with sliced bananas, cinnamon and milk.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: oatmeal, steel-cut oats, banana nut, overripe bananas, oats, porridge, pinhead oats, irish oats, coarse oatmeal, banana nut oatmeal