A melty, cheesy, comforting vegetarian meal with plenty of protein. Cheesy Vegetarian Quinoa Enchilada Bake is an easy all-in-one dinner.
- 5 cups quinoa cooked according to package instructions in vegetable or chicken broth (1 2/3 cups dried quinoa, 3 1/2 cups broth)
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers (I use green, red and orange), diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 4 oz full fat cream cheese
- 2 1/2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- 2 cups cooked corn
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Optional: Serve with avocado and cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Warm a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once it shimmers, add the onions, peppers, and zucchini, and cook until soft (about 5 minutes). Stir in the garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
- Drain the tomatoes, setting aside the juice for later. Add the tomatoes to the mixture and allow to come to a simmer.
- Add the cooked quinoa and stir in the cumin, chili powder, and enchilada sauce.
- Cut the creamed cheese into cubes and stir into the mixture until well-mixed and creamy. Stir in 1 1/2 cup of the Mexican blend cheese, the corn and the black beans. Add some of the tomato juice if the mixture is too dry.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Cover with foil (or an oven-proof lid) and bake for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to bake 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve with avocado and/or cilantro. Enjoy!
- If I want a little more heat (and I usually do) I’ll add a diced jalapeno or two when I add the bell peppers. Feel free to experiment with different peppers!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: cheesy vegetarian quinoa enchilada bake, cheesy quinoa enchilada bake, quinoa bake, enchilada bake