Creamy white beans simmered in tomato sauce with shallots, garlic, and sage. Great as a side dish, but easily works as a main dish over rice or pasta.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/4 cup finely minced shallots or sweet onion
- 2 Tablespoons fresh sage (or 1 teaspoon dried sage)
- 28-oz canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 28-oz canned tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Warm a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat and add the oil. When it shimmers, add the garlic cloves, and onions. Stir for about 30 seconds, then add the sage.
- Add the cannellini beans and sauté until they begin to look dry (when they lose their shine), 4-5 minutes.
- Hand-crush the tomatoes into the pan and stir them in. Add 1 cup of the juice from the can and set the rest aside. Add the salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, stir and continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Add more tomato juice a few spoonfuls at a time if it dries out too much.
- Serve warm with crusty bread. Enjoy!
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Braising
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: fagioli all'uccelletto, Tuscan braised beans, Tuscan baked beans, Italian baked beans, white beans, tomato sauce, sage