This light and refreshing salad packs a tangy punch, but has just enough sweetness to balance out the pucker factor. Crunchy cucumbers and onions mingle with juicy tomatoes and summery herbs to make a colorful side for family dinner, or the perfect easy pot luck dish.
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thin (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon partially dried basil (or 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, minced)
- 2 teaspoons sugar or honey
- 2 Tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup white vinegar
- Plastic wrap
- Combine the cucumbers, tomatoes and shallots in a shallow dish.
- Sprinkle on the salt, pepper, oregano, basil and sugar or honey as evenly as possible on top.
- Drizzle the olive oil over everything else, then pour in the vinegar over the mixture so that you’re washing any seasoning that’s still dry into the mixture. Stir a little if you can’t get it all.
- Place plastic wrap directly over the mixture, pushing out as many air bubbles as possible so that everything is immersed in the vinegar (think vacuum sealing). If everything isn’t mostly covered even after this step, add more vinegar.
- Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour, preferably 2-3. Serve cold and enjoy!
Keywords: marinated cucumber tomato salad, cucumber tomato salad, cucumber onion salad,