A simple sheet pan meal with tender chicken thighs and crunchy vegetables coated in sweet spice and umami flavors. Perfect for a big family meal, or meal planning for the week.
Time: 40 minutes, plus at least 1 hour marinating time
Yield: Makes about 8 servings
For the marinade
- 1 Tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika (preferably smoked)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the chicken & vegetables
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 lbs)
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 bag stir fry vegetable mix (broccoli, carrots, cabbage, snow peas)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, cut into wedges
- 1-2 cups white button mushrooms, halved
- Optional: Add a teaspoon or two of chili paste to either chicken or veggies for more heat.
- Brown rice (I like short-grain), white rice, noodles, cauliflower rice, or whatever you like (see note below)
- Combine all marinade ingredients and mix well. Put 2 Tablespoons of the mixture in a separate bowl and set aside for now.
- Trim any excessive fat from the chicken thighs, if desired. Put the chicken in a sealable glass container or plastic freezer bag and rub the rest of the marinade all over the chicken to distribute evenly, making certain to get in all the nooks and crannies. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Adjust an oven rack to the upper third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450º.
- Place the chicken thighs spread apart on a wire rack over a sheet pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all your vegetables in a mixing bowl.
- Mix the marinade you set aside earlier with the olive oil and soy sauce. Pour the mixture over the vegetables and toss to cover.
- Remove the pan of chicken from the oven. Carefully lift off the wire rack and set it aside for now. Pour the vegetables onto the pan and spread in one layer.
- Place the rack over the vegetables (as level as possible) and put back into the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Turn your broiler on high and cook 2-3 more minutes, until the edges of the chicken begin to blacken.
- Serve warm over your choice of rice or noodles!
- Safety note: make certain to set aside the marinade BEFORE it touches the chicken. Do not use marinade that has already touched the raw chicken.
- *Note the rice/noodles suggested are NOT included in the nutrition facts as there are wide discrepancies depending on what you pick, so make sure you factor that in if you have health issues or are tracking specifics. Four cups brown rice (0.5 cup/serving) brings a serving total to 303 calories, 31g total carb, 4.7g sugars.
Keywords: sheet pan sweet spiced chicken thighs and vegetables, sheet pan, sheet pan chicken, sheet pan vegetables, chicken thighs